Monday, September 7, 2009

Amchitka to Aleutian Islands: A Featured Article of Sept 7

On the Main Page of Wikipedia, every day there is a featured article. They are articles available on Wikipedia. I do not know the basis on which they are being nominated for 'featured article'. I may go for self praise but not a genuine one about an article on Shradha Ram Phillauri. Actually I had written a section on Shradha Ram Phillauri in the article Phillaur. However, a full fledged article on Shradha Ram was later written and it was well written. It remained a featured article for a day. Now it has been developed further. I may add some more details after counter check as one of the descendent had sent me some information. I have otherwise given a short addition in the article based on that information.

Well today article was on Amchitka. Well, generally I am not attracted to these article but the very opening sentence attracted my attention. It was definitely a new discovery for me. I learned about Aleutian Islands which form the part of Alaska State, bought by America in 1867. American Imperialism and expansion has a peculiar feature. In addition to conquest they have bought out the territories and the finest one was Louisiana Purchase by President Jefferson in 1804. They bought it for 15 million dollars, an amount which was once asked in bride by France in 1799. From corruption to real deal that was really something. I keep on gathering points on that till this day. I teach American history from 1860 to 1973 but in order to explain 1860 you have to study Antebellum America and during that period framing of the constitution and buying of Louisiana Territory have just left me amazed and as my understanding of history is improving, I am getting more intrigued by that deal. The purchase of Alaska during Johnson period actually turned out to be culmination of that affair. Before it, they even purchased Florida in 1834. Anyhow, this article just plucked me away towards itself when in second line I noticed Aleutian islands, formed out of active volcanic eruptions, recorded as part of Alaska.

However, there is another entry which directed my attention and that had an internal link (Internal Link in wikipedia are those links which take you to articles on wikipedia itself.) It was Shelikhov Company. However, on exploration I found that it is marked Russian American Company. This is an entry which has to be pointed to the editors. and I am going to do that after giving some links.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous Writers, Kindly do not waste your time here. If you write promotional messages here, they will never be displayed. Kindly spend your time somewhere else. Your marketing efforts are destroying the pristine nature of Blogging.