Thursday, December 3, 2009

European Surveillance of the Curator





This blog has remained a fascinating experience for me. I was amused to watch that the day I launched it, I received the visitor. It was from city Sofia, State Grad Sofiya, country Bulgaria. It was hardly a week old blog at that time. I had developed the idea of making this blog because of my experiences with Wikipedia browsing. It was later I learned that it was not only me who had started such a blog, but there were many like me who had been doing it before me. Well, that I will discuss in a different post.


The Bulgarian visitor had watched the post titled "Georgi Lozanov ", the apostle of the idea of Suggestopedia. The very term on Wikipedia had attracted my attention. I had read the whole of the article. I even visited the official site of the author. The day I posted and that was September 10, 2009, I received the return visit the next day on September 11, 2009. I believe that it was the administrator of the site who might had checked the back link. The language of the browser was German and machine was Macintosh.


Then, as it happens, if you post a photograph on your blog, you get visitors. I wrote another post on Bhajji (Bhajan Singh, a cricketer from India), whose article had appeared as a featured article on the Main page of Wikipedia. Well, that brought visitors from different continents. However, a more interesting features had yet to appear and that I report below.


I posted another article titled 'Over enthusiast forgets the country'. I never knew that this very post would again get visitors from Europe. Now this time, the visitors were again from the Northern side of Europe. The first visitor was a normal type of a search seeker. I had talked about 'Isle of Man' in the post and made the comment about the overall nature of the contents but also about one feature which I observed. The visitor was from United Kingdom itself. I did not know about Isle of Man and it seems even the Briton did not either. The visitor was from Douglas, South Lanarkshire. (It is how it is spelled on the sitemeter.). Then came the surprising rush of visitors. They were from Norway. Their language was Norwegian Bokmal. I did not know about that language. It directed my attention to the list of the languages available on Wikipedia itself wherein it appeared with full pride and honour. They actually came searching for the term Wikipedia on blog search engine. They did not come once but many a time. I do not know what had actually attracted them. I again visited the post of Isle of Man and explored further. I learned that it was a place which was also known for the apostle of witchcraft, a tradition which I believe was frowned upon in Europe and England. I am not relating it to any discovery or detective activity but it was how I went about making searches when I kept receiving visitors from Norway who were using Norwegian Bokmal.

Even Jimmy Wales might have visited my blog. I wrote a post about his talk page. The visit came from a email link. It was from San Francisco, California. The machine was Macintosh with MacOSX. The browser was firefox. The domain was speakeasy.net. The European visitor kept on watching the same post and they continued even when I had made more postings on different aspects of wikipedia. The latitude longitude remained the same and it was 62, 10. The domain was ice.on in most of the cases. Another visitor came through google.com with direct query of the url of the blog itself. The lati/long was 47, 8. After the visitor from the google.com Europe, I started receiving the visit of the googlebot from Mountview California and there were many such visits through out the month of October 2009. The visitors from Norway kept visiting me. Apart from the Norwegian visitor, I received visitor searching for Georgi Lozanov. I believe that the scholar is quite popular among the people in Europe because of his learning technique. There was even a visitor from Russia who came searching for him to my blog. There was a visitor whose language was Portuguese Brazil. What was that? I do not know. Though he had used a google search with a tag or Br.

Then came the demanding visitor from Barendrecht, Zuid-Holland. (I have copied these words as I can not even pronounce them.) The language was Dutch. I am having a feeling that I have not maintained etiquette while writing his name in my post. The post was titled 'Startling Concept Essay but Bemusing Background'. I used the word 'incongruity' which the person from Netherlands did not relish. I was embarrassed. I just wrote back to him in bit apologetic manner. I was just wondering that it was Dutch before English who had entered India. They did not remain in India for long. Then Denmark made colony in India and left it for England to fight with France. What would have been the fate of India, had France or Netherlands or Denmark remained in India. Anyhow, I believe that the issue which had cropped up due to the last post has been settled. But all these visitors (by now there 64), were mostly from Europe. 


My blog is under European Surveillance.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous Writers, Kindly do not waste your time here. If you write promotional messages here, they will never be displayed. Kindly spend your time somewhere else. Your marketing efforts are destroying the pristine nature of Blogging.